The Lightning Letter

The Student News Site of James Lawson High School

The Lightning Letter

The Lightning Letter

Upcoming Lawson Events

The end of this school year is coming, and with that a lot of interesting events and activities are in the schedule. 

There are many sporting events on the schedule, the prom is at the door, seniors’ activities and week are getting prepared, the wonderful international day will arrive pretty soon, a fashion show has been planned, and the arts department will have a big exhibition all together. 

One of the most important events during the high school year is about to arrive: the Prom 2024 with the theme “Casino Night,” which will be hosted in the cafeteria of the school on Saturday, the 27th of April, from 7:00PM to 10:30PM, for the price of $55. 

The tickets will be on sale from March 18 – April 19, and if you are bringing someone from a different school, you will have to fill out a guest form in Room 100. 

The school had already given the opportunity to shop dresses, suits, shoes and jewelry for free, hosting in the past week a “prom pop-up” in the library of the school. 

There is a plan for a beauty and style day that will be on the 24th of April from 3pm to 5pm, in which Lawson students will have the opportunity to get ready for prom with free beauty and grooming services, including barber haircuts, nail polish, facials and more. 

Bringing our attention to the fashion, Ms. Girod, the fashion design teacher, had the brilliant idea of doing a fashion show, which will be on the 1st and 2nd of May during school in the auditorium. This event is taking the full attention and effort in her classes right now. The students are working in small groups in order to create outfits for the show, the main theme is going to be “time periods,” and we can’t wait to see the students’ works.

Mr. Meredith, the choir director, told us about this incredible show, which will incorporate band, choir, orchestra, dance group and theater all together on April 18 at 6 PM.

“It’s a great time for everyone to see all the cool things that are happening here at Lawson with performing arts, ” Meredith said. “It’s gonna be a really big event, which will also get kind of emotional because the seniors will realize that this is their last concert. They will close the year in a beautiful big way that they will not forget!”

Shifting our attention to the international day, we asked the junior Wan Tovi, who is in charge of organizing the preparation and the international day, what this event is going to look like. She told us that there are going to be different activities, such as a costume show, typical food from the different countries and exhibitions.

We are excited and looking forward to all these activities, which will be part of the end of this school year.