The Lightning Letter

The Student News Site of James Lawson High School

The Lightning Letter

The Lightning Letter

All About Chef

After a four year culinary degree, Chef Rummage’s developed a passion for cooking. He learned how to make to make his favorite Caribbean dishes for himself.

After getting his start working at Captain D’s, Rummage worked hard and moved into a position as a culinary teacher at Hillwood. He learned how to deal with kids in a kitchen.

“I love seeing the spark in their eyes as the learn,” Rummage said.

Cooking is a skill everyone needs, but not everyone has. Rummage ensures that his sophomores complete 10 hours of OSHA training to learn cleaning and safety practices for working with food. Juniors complete training and receive certification for ServSafe, which is more advanced training in cleaning and safety practices. Rummage feels assured that his students will go far, leaving with all the experience of being a sous chef.

From field trips to baking a cake as a final exam for his class, students love what Chef Rummage does to make class fun.

“Chef Rummage goes the extra mile for his students, event buying materials with his own money to make sure we have what we need and want,” junior Kaydence Weaver said.

Always making sure his kitchen is a safe space for all is why Lawson students love Chef Rummage!