The Lightning Letter

The Student News Site of James Lawson High School

The Lightning Letter

The Lightning Letter

The Importance of Journalism

The Significance of Journalism in High School

In James Lawson High School, many students are taught journalism – writing and publishing articles, interviews, or news stories relevant to the world around us. 

Journalism allows people to stay informed about the community and the world around them, and for highschoolers, it is especially important to stay informed about things going on with the school for clubs, exams, or any other events that can benefit readers. 

But not only does journalism help students who are reading the articles, writing articles as a student gives the student a better understanding of what journalism is for, improving their writing skills and giving students fulfillment with publishing their own articles. 

It helps students who take the class in school understand how to properly interview, photograph, and get the information needed for articles while giving them a sense of freedom in what they make. In journalism you can make articles in a range of topics, from sports, news, to arts & culture.

There’s truly something for everyone to write about and I believe everyone can benefit from it. I personally wasn’t sure if taking the class would be worth it but I was pleasantly surprised by what I’ve learned in publishing multiple articles and being taught journalism this year.

Overall, journalism is an extremely important class to take due to the skills and knowledge you will learn from it, and if you aren’t in journalism already you should definitely consider it as it is a fun class!