The Lightning Letter

The Student News Site of James Lawson High School

The Lightning Letter

The Lightning Letter

Catching up with the Flag Football team!

For the first time ever, James Lawson has a Flag Football team, a sport that is growing a lot in schools in recent times. The Lightning Letter spoke to Coach Jeremiah Oatsvall, who told us a little about the practices, the team, and goals. 

“The girls started strong. A lot of new girls are playing for the first time, so we’re just learning the rules, the techniques and the fundamentals, and we’re getting better each week,” Oatsvall said.

It’s a new experience on both sides. For Coach Oatsvall, it’s all new and exciting.

“I’m learning a lot, it’s my first time ever coaching flag football at Lawson. The girls are learning a lot, and it is an exciting new sport for our school,” Oatsvall said.

The team practices Tuesday and Thursday after school. Practices are going well, the girls are getting better, in each practice, they are focusing on different techniques, fundamentals and learning the positions.  

The team first warms up and stretches, then gets into some drills, whether offensive or defensive type of drills, and then finishes with offense and defense plays.

“Getting our first win of the year was so far the best experience with the team, because I saw all the girls celebrating and seeing how hard work pays off,” Oatsvall said.

The girls are working hard right now to get ready for the playoffs, which will be from the 1st to the 4th of May.

Coach Oatsvall has some goals for the team.

“I’m looking forward to seeing how much better we get from the very first practice, the very first game, to the last practice and the last game. Our only goals will be to compete in every game, not give up and play until the final,” Oatsvall said.

We’re so excited and proud of these girls who decided to take part in this new sport and represent Lawson in competitions. We wish them good luck for the playoffs.