The Lightning Letter

The Student News Site of James Lawson High School

The Lightning Letter

The Lightning Letter

Overwhelmed About Graduation

Overwhelmed About Graduation

I can’t wait to feel a surge of excitement as I walk across the stage to receive my diploma. This moment will be the culmination of years of hard work, late-night study sessions, and overcoming academic challenges. I can’t wait to also have time to thank all the staff and all the teachers for helping me get through things, supporting me with what I needed. I got so excited thinking about my graduation that I had tears of excitement. One thing that makes me excited is having my little brothers see me walk that stage and hearing my family scream my name from the audience.

I’m very excited about graduating this year at James Lawson High school because I noticed that I did it to make myself happy —and also my mom and my family and God. As a little girl I’ve always was ready for this moment and I’ve also dreamed about this moment a couple of times, but every time I think about graduating, I feel like it’s a big moment for me. Students are in school year after year, and it is hard waking up and feeling tired. It was very hard for me, and probably for other students.

Graduating from a program or school can be a significant achievement and a time for celebration. However, it can also bring about feelings of being overwhelmed for some individuals.

“I am mostly not overwhelmed about graduating, but the emotion that I am feeling about graduation is excited and the reasoning for my excitement is because I am ready to graduate. The only part I’m nervous about is practice and walking across the stage,” senior Branden Perez said.

One of the biggest challenges for graduating for me personally is deciding on a career path that aligns with my interests, skills, and values. This decision can be daunting as it can shape my future trajectory. It was also hard for me to choose a career path because then I start to question myself about the career I really want to do. Then, I changed my mind and changed my mind again and again. I also think about the skills for the career path I want to go through because I also want to travel during college.

Being a senior and graduating at James Lawson High School has been very challenging for me, and I had moment where I was so overwhelmed that I made my anxiety go up.

The fear of the unknown, coupled with the desire to succeed and make a meaningful impact, can create a sense of overwhelm. While I’m very proud of myself, I‘m also afraid about adult world things. For example, getting a job and even working on my own with things like moving or exploring the world alone or with different people 

One thing I am hopeful about is being able to know that I have faith in myself for me being able to grow from the skills of growth and excitement as a student graduating from James Lawson High School.