The Lightning Letter

The Student News Site of James Lawson High School

The Lightning Letter

The Lightning Letter

Staff Spotlight: Ms. Donaldson

Ashley Donaldson is a magnificent music teacher, who in middle school told herself she would never be caught dead teaching. However, after she discovered her love for music, she wanted to share it with younger people.

“We humans are the only species to create music for enjoyment, and I think that’s something really special,” Donaldson said.

Donaldson began her studies of music education in college, where she played the saxophone, which she described to be very difficult, for eventually becoming a band and music teacher in different schools.

“I think music education is important because it provides a really great structure for students. It also really promotes a lot of great life skills that I think are super important to creating a well-rounded human being. I feel like students can find their place and their expression in music as well,” Donaldson said.

She would describe music as a big inspiration, a way of life to find inspiration and to express yourself as an individual. 

“My favorite is just when students really get into it and actually find something that they like that they didn’t know that they liked,” Donaldson said.

She strongly believes that music is a really important instrument not just for education, but also for life and thought that young people should see music in this beautiful way.

The classes, at the beginning of the year, were playing guitars and looking at different genres and now they have been talking about music in Mardi Gras and Carnival. Currently, they are learning about Black History in music, and it has been a really fun lesson.

“I love to teach instruments to students, but right now I am particularly really enjoying teaching. Black History and music– it’s been a lot of fun. I’ve learned a lot more about this myself through my research,” Donaldson said. 

Donaldson also used to do martials arts growing up. She actually has a first degree black belt.

Students and other teachers love Donaldson, who seems to be very funny and kind with them.