The Lightning Letter

The Student News Site of James Lawson High School

The Lightning Letter

The Lightning Letter

Lawson’s First DECA

Distributive Education Clubs of America, better known as DECA, is one of the most prestigious business extracurricular clubs through hundreds of high schools across America.

“DECA is an opportunity to let students see what they are up against in the actual job market from 2-5 years from now,” DECA Sponsor and advisor Brad Bishop said.

This past weekend, Lawson sent a group of 35 students to compete in 17 different competitive events at the State Career Development Conference (SCDC) in Chattanooga, Tennessee. 

As the weekend went on, students spent 4 days in Chattanooga building their network, learning how to communicate professionally, and developing presentation skills as they tested, competed, and excelled in their varied events. 

“DECA has helped me experience the difference and prepare me for what is to come,” DECA member and senior Joanna Baez said. 

Some events that Lawson students competed in included community giving, an independent business plan, a business franchise plan, and an entrepreneurship team decision-making. 

After a nerve-wracking and exhilarating weekend of competing and development, 6 Lawson Students were qualified to attend the International Career Development Conference (ICDC) in Anaheim, California, in April. Juniors Chaz Covington, Jack Ferrier, and Preston Russo will represent Tennessee for the Innovation Plan. Junior Ruby Cano and sophomore Hayden Senator will represent Tennessee for the community awareness project, and senior Grace Chen will represent Tennessee for the Independent Business Plan. 

Stay tuned for DECA updates for our ICDC qualifiers. Go Lightning!