The Lightning Letter

The Student News Site of James Lawson High School

The Lightning Letter

The Lightning Letter

Lawson’s First HOSA Conference

Future Health Professionals, better known as HOSA, is an advanced healthcare program that encourages and nurtures student interest in healthcare in hundreds of schools across the nation. 

“HOSA gives students a competitive experience in their healthcare field that allows them to strive towards success,” HOSA sponsor and advisor Lora Hickman said. 

The past week, Lawson sent 62 students to Chattanooga, Tennesse, as the biggest cohort of HOSA students in the Metro Nashville Public Schools system for the HOSA state conference. 

While 62 kids away from home may seem daunting, it was an immersive experience for all students who attended the trip. During the week, students explored downtown Chattanooga, participated in informational sessions about different topics of health and healthcare, and looked into potential pathways to colleges and higher education while competing in their competitive events.

After hours of practicing, preparing, and competing, 17 Lawson students qualified for the international conference hosted in Houston, Texas. Some events that qualify to participate in the international conference include Health Education, Community Awareness, and Career Interviewing Skills.

“It was a great feeling winning third place because I felt like I got to represent the health science academy in the best way possible,” Senior and international qualifier Caden Jones said. 

Stayed tuned for updates on the international HOSA conference in June. Go lightning!