The Lightning Letter

The Student News Site of James Lawson High School

The Lightning Letter

The Lightning Letter

What to Know About the ACT

Source Photo: Haaretz
    Source Photo: Haaretz

The American College Test (ACT) is an exam all students, college-bound or not, should be aware of. The ACT is a standardized test for college admissions with no true passing grade. The entire test takes around 215 questions through its entirety and has four sections: reading, grammar, math, science, and the optional essay writing section. 

The ACT is scored from 1-36, and colleges will typically want or require a score of 21 or higher for prospective students. Getting a 21 or higher, however, can also make one eligible for one of Tennessee’s scholarships: the Tennessee HOPE scholarship. Students have the luxury of taking the ACT for free in their junior year. However, if a student signs up to take the test individually, the test itself costs $80 to $100. Students must sign up via the ACT website* which is around a 30-minute process. 

Leading to the exam, students should work on study tactics and test taking strategies. Each section varies in time. The English section is 45 minutes, reading and science are each 35 minutes, and the math section is 60 minutes. If taking the optional essay writing section, add an additional 40 minutes. The entire test with breaks will take around three hours (3 hr.+ including the writing part). 

The English section requires knowledge of basic grammar and sentence structure skills. The reading and science sections are both reading different types of passages or looking over articles and graphs and answering questions about them. The math section has a calculator allowed section that covers Algebra, Geometry, Trigonometry, and Statistics.

For the test itself, students must bring multiple materials: Number 2 pencils with good erasers, a calculator, (if individually) a state ID and preferably snacks and water. 

While this test is important for those who are college-bound, students can retake if one feels the need for a better score. 

*https://www.act.org/