The Lightning Letter

The Student News Site of James Lawson High School

The Lightning Letter

The Lightning Letter

Take a look to the Fashion Design class!

The Lightning Letter had a good talk with Ms. Girod and one of her students in Lawson’s new fashion design class, and discovered all the activities and projects that this class offers. 

This is the first year this class is available and it’s something new also for Girod, who is teaching a new program at a new school.

“It’s exciting but it is stressful too, because I am the only person that is doing this. But it’s very exciting because it is new. I mean the world is my own, I can literally do whatever I want. I can have freedom in that aspect,” Girod said.

The Fashion Design class “is everything from how to set up a sewing machine, how to take your own measurements, how to do something whether that is something fluffy or spongy all the way to putting that on so we’ll compare,” Girod said.

Right now all the classes are working on a project about making a three paneled tailored skirt with darts. The classes had done a big amount of different projects in the past, some of them had really good results.

One student project that was interesting and unique last semester was a cardboard project. 

“This project actually really surprised me. I took inspiration from one of my teachers from high school, we did the same project. I personally didn’t like it too much when I was doing the project, but the students actually loved it. They started from little cardboard boxes where students were given a passionate way to design, which is decorating houses or designing houses, and they made miniature doll houses out of cardboard and that had to be about a certain style and there’s like a major competition in the class. I like that it is not a traditional art form that people think about,” Girod said.

The students seem really enjoying this class, they report that it is very peaceful, and they are learning a lot of new stuff.

“I like this class. I really enjoy sewing; the project that I liked the most was the shirt, where we had to make our own shirt from scratch. It was really fun, we had a good time doing it. I’m excited for the next projects,” senior Gabriel Amaya said.

Girod told us that there will be some big projects in the future.

One major goal that we’re working towards is a fashion show at the end of the year. The goal is that in groups students were able to create a full outfit head to toe and are really dependent on making the shoes whatever they got and giving them all the tools and resources and products,” Girod said.