The Lightning Letter

The Student News Site of James Lawson High School

The Lightning Letter

The Lightning Letter

Staff Spotlight: Coach Lilly

The Lightning Letter sat down with Lawson’s new football Coach, Brian Lilly after the August 18th victory over Cheatham County Central.

“We are still getting to know each other, but I am excited to be here,” Lilly said.

Brian Lilly took over the coaching job in the spring of 2023. Taking over a new team in a new school has its challenges and Lilly was ready.

“So far, it’s good. We started with 13 guys in the offseason and now we are at 91 on the team with 41 freshmen.”

His passion for the game and the team is what motivates him to coach. He is a goal-oriented coach who strives to have a bigger and better team. Coach Lilly focuses on the basics and mental toughness of the players.

“We try to go 1-0, each week and manage the controlables we have. Obviously, we will have challenges but we strive to fight to the end and show our determination. We want to be able to live with the outcome of the scoreboard, no matter the score.”

Lilly credits the growth of Lawson’s football team to the positive culture and strong relationships of the team within the community.

“Seeing the boys cheer with excitement after their hard-fought win is amazing. Seeing their joy means the most.”

Even with the win over Cheatham County Central,[ 18-15], and the growth of the football team, Coach credits the win to the school and the men who fought bravely on the football field.

This passionate head coach looks forward to a bright future and a winning record.