Class of 2024: Ready or Not, Here They Come!

The Class of 2024 prepares for a new start at James Lawson High School.

As we end the last year of Hillwood, upperclassman are preparing for a new start at James Lawson High School as they look forward to becoming the first graduating class of the new school.

Students of all types such as athletes, transfers, and even juniors graduating with the seniors, such as Heba Elkhatib, who will be graduating a year early, are hopeful about the new environment.

“[I’m] happy that I don’t have to stick around all four years, but of course I’m sad I won’t get to experience the new school that much,” Elkhatib said. “It’ll be a nicer school.”

The bigger school means more, more teachers, more students, and more problems, the struggle is real. Freshman and transfer students from other high schools, and more are coming to experience the new school. Elijah Frame, a student enrolled at the MNPS Virtual School, is looking forward to being enrolled at Lawson.

“I’m nervous,” Frame said, “but I’m excited.”

Frame was enrolled as a virtual student due to his social anxiety, but has always wanted to be a cheerleader, so next year he’s back and ready for action along with the cheer squad

“Cheer has been something I’ve wanted to do since middle school,” he said. “I’m so excited to get to be a part of the team. So far everyone has been super friendly, and I’ve had a lot of fun learning the cheers and making friends.”

At Lawson, our sports teams are going to be bigger and better than ever. Future senior, Eva Meacham, along with her sister Lizzy Meacham, will be playing on our first Lawson Softball team.

“I feel like this will be a big accomplishment for us,” Eva Meacham said. “I think we’ll be given a lot more opportunities, hopefully we won’t have to travel as far for away games, and maybe even the football team won’t need to use our outfield for practice anymore.”